Monday, July 27, 2009

You're not going to believe this .... or maybe you will

Harrison's got swine flu!!! The nurses suctioned out some gunge from the back of his nose this morning and the results were waiting for us when we got back from infecting everybody in the outpatients building! More on that later. I would give you three guesses where the swine flu came from, but if you've been following the blog daily, you will only need the one.... I feel absolutely terrible for the other families in our bay - one very special little boy was supposed to be going home today after 86 days here. He is asymptomatic at present but could still develop it. Although Bernard thinks he may just have had a cold, it may not have been.... Harrison and both of the nurses in here are now wearing masks. The rest of us have been told we don't need to as we've been exposed for the last couple of days anyway.


We were told just after 2pm and it is now 4:05pm. We have been waiting to be moved to a cubicle all this time! Meanwhile we are still sitting amongst all the other families. The bay has been isolated but Harrison is the only confirmed case in here at present, so he will be moved. At lunchtime we were sent over to outpatients for Harrison to undergo his lung function tests. After hanging around in the waiting room for about 20 minutes we were taken into a laboratory. The technician asked us some questions and established that Harrison had only had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. They aren't able to do the tests within 2 months of surgery unless there is a doctor present. After yet more waiting whilst the technician spoke to the doctors here, it turns out that they weren't aware of this and nobody could be spared at this time. The appointment was going to be re-booked for Wednesday, but now I doubt it will happen then. I have no idea what the plan is now, although I suspect that everything is on hold until Harrison has recovered from the swine flu. I may learn more later today or tomorrow. I just can't believe that we came in for one thing (which is now stable) and ended up with three other issues! Now in cubicle - only took 3 hours..... Still, looking on the bright side, we've got a large en-suite bathroom; TV aerial (although TV is making funny noises now); bed so that I can stay with Harrison; peace and quiet..... what more can we ask for? The lengths we have to go to, to get our own room! Harrison's cardiologist has just been in to see him (all gowned up). Wish I could have taken a photo...... He told me that it doesn't really affect the over 40's and as he's only just over that age (must be nearly 60 or so!) he should be fine.... Maybe that's why I'm OK. There has to be some advantage to getting older!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you all. What can I say to make you feel any better? I didn't even need ONE GUESS after I heard. I just thought ****! I hope they feel guilty and it's taught them a lesson. (doubt it!)
Poor Harrison must be feeling worse than ever. No wonder he's not been eating. But I'm sure all the staff will work hard to get him through this quickly. Keep yourself strong Lindsey (Bernard too). Try to eat so you are strong enough, if you develop the flu too, to get back on your feet quickly so you can continue to support your little lad.
Why do messages not get through to other departments? Fancy not knowing about Harrison's recent operation? In this computer age, errors like that never cease to amaze me. As you say though, Harrison will probably have to wait even longer now.
Our prayers are with you all, as always. My husband Iain sends his best wishes and hopes for better news soon. Even my friend in Adelaide - a retired nun - has you all in her prayers! So keep positive, knowing that love is coming from all quarters to support you. Hope you both have a good night's sleep - and no more floods or firemen! Love and God Bless, Sandie xx

Anonymous said...

Glad we saw him yesterday. Really annoyed about THAT family now, how will you and H get fed, can you go out to get it or do you also have a private waiter to your suite? Long chat with B worried about spreading it to the other H. We are thinking of you all the time as usual, any wants, please email or phone and we can deliver/collect from reception. I assume you had to cancel Melanie today, sad for both of you. Keep taking the tablets (if they give you any) eat to keep strength of you both up, and use your new peaceful environment to catch up on sleep! Lots of love Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

Poor Harrison... We are all thinking of you and hope you recover quickly. You have been so brave. You're a star! We love you lots. Hopefully we'll see you fit and well soon. Lots of love Harriet and Phil. p.s Mum and Dad on hols, they have been thinking about you. They send their love. xx

The Ross family said...

Oh no, you poor things!!! Can you believe it!!!!! No wonder H wasn't getting better, it's not surprising with all that going on. Let me know if I can bring anything up for you - anything!!! I mean it!! Rope and basket up to your window with take away!!!???
You take care of yourself too! you'll be no good to H if you wear yourself out.
Will email you about something else if you get the time to check.
Love & hugs to you all...keep strong for each other.
Love Al, Tony and the girls x xxxxx

Unknown said...

How stupid and selfish can some people be ? It's impossible to believe that some parents are willing to not only put their own children at risk but others !
Poor H , as if he hasn't been through enough.
Sending you lots of love and thinking of you often - looking forward to when you all 3 of you can come over to us for lunch soon.

jacky said...

Lindsey, we LOVE the way you always look on the bright side, no matter what. Good for you!

Hugs to Harrison from us, poor love. You're AMAZING Harrison!

Much better that you have your own room and can be together properly now. Surely this wasn't the way to get it though!

Love Jacky, Clive & Alex XXX

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose that if Harrison had to get S.flu it was best that he got it in hospital. I hope that he makes a quick recovery from this so that they can continue sorting out the rest of his health problems. Bernard...try not to worry too much...please! I know it is easier said than done, but it won't change what will be.

I hope you keep well Lindsey. I so wish I could be with you all.

Big hugs and kisses as always,
Karen, Dave, Meg and Henry xxxx
ps) Thank you for the email wishing me a happy birthday. I can't believe you thought of that with everything else you have on your plate!

Anonymous said...

Can hardly believe what a long drawn-out ordeal this has turned out to be for all of you. Sending our good wishes for Harrison's recovery. Love Jo & Milly

Anonymous said...

I heard you could get an oinkment for that ;>)

Hugs

Em