Sunday, August 2, 2009

A good day

I didn't get much sleep last night. Harrison's oxygen saturation monitor alarmed so many times that in the end I lost count. His oxygen levels dipped to 83% four times, and it looked as though he was having apnoea episodes again. The other times when the machine alarmed, his saturations were sitting around 87 - 88%. Harrison wasn't disturbed at all though. I spoke about it with the doctor this morning and the only thing that changed which may have caused it, was that I put the bed very, very slightly on less of an incline. The doctor did say that given Harrison's physiology, there is a chance that the tiny change in angle could have a big effect on him. I've put the bed back up again now, so we'll see what happens tonight. Second day in a row for weight gain - hurrah! Now virtually back up to 30kg. I'm expecting more of the same tomorrow, as the eating has definitely turned a corner. Bernard suggested that maybe the Tamiflu was suppressing Harrison's appetite. He could definitely have a point there. Harrison and I have started to prepare for his discharge this week (ever the optimist!) Harrison wrote some thank you cards to the teams who have looked after him over the past 3 1/2 weeks. He then spent the rest of the day pretty much like yesterday...... I thought that he may as well make the most of it, seeing that the school team will be back tomorrow with more craft activities :-) Bernard is still trying to workout what to do about Harrison's bedroom. The discussions continue... Harrison is in heaven. Mysteriously, BBC2 has appeared on the television. The channels are rather fluid and seem to change with the wind direction. Thankfully, we have BBC2 when it counts! Top Gear time......

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Apart from the alarms, sounds lioke it's been a good day for you both - AND you got Top Gear!

Have you asked the Hospital Almoner if he/she is able to supply a tilted bed for Harrison at home? Worth a try perhaps if he's going to need elevation at night. Or they might know from where you could borrow one. Might need to be a strengthened one though, if H continues to put on weight!

Have a good Monday, Sandie x

Clare said...

I've just spent ages catching up on your blogs since you went into hospital. Can't believe Harrison and Bernard ended up with swine flu. Thinking of you all. Clare xx

Anonymous said...

Well, I love the optimism about your return to civilisation and I hope that your dreams come true. Either way, it is nice to see some positives despite the alarm going off.

I hope Bernard is feeling much better now too. You'll soon be home and we will be celebrating with you...promise! Missing you!

With lots of love to you all,
Karen, Dave, Meg and Henry xx